Top 5 End of Summer Drinks
With less than a month remaining in the Summer season, it’s important that we take full advantage of each warm day we have left at Avec on H Street Apartments. For our residents, this means heading up to our two-block long rooftop as much as possible for incredible views and even better vibes! While you’re up top, add to the experience by enjoying a nice refreshing end of summer drink.
Below is a list of some of our favorite end of Summer drinks you can make right in your apartment home.
Assemble one, and let us know how you like it!
Watermelon Lemonade Slushie
2 pounds cubed watermelon (4 cups)
½ Cup Sugar
1 large bunch basil, stems and leaves roughly chopped (about 2 cups), plus 4 whole leaves for garnish
Juice of 3 lemons (about ½ cup)
1. Place the watermelon in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet, and freeze until completely frozen, like ice cubes, about 2 hours.
2. Meanwhile, cook the sugar and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is completely melted, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat, add the chopped basil and stir until completely wilted. Cool completely at room temperature, at least 1 hour.
3. When the watermelon is completely frozen, put half in a blender. Strain the basil syrup into the blender, use the back of a wooden spoon or spatula to press down on the basil to extract as much flavor as possible, and discard the basil. Add the lemon juice, and blend until the mixture is mostly smooth, pushing it down with a wooden spoon or spatula if needed. Add the remaining watermelon, and continue to blend until the mixture is completely smooth.
4. Spoon the mixture into 4 short glasses (or wine glasses, if you want to be fancy), and garnish each with a basil leaf.
One 750-milliliter bottle of fruity red wine
1/4 cup brandy
1/4 cup orange-flavored liqueur, such as Triple Sec
1/4 cup superfine sugar
One 10-ounce bag frozen mixed berries (about 2 1/2 cups)
1. Fill 2 ice cube trays with the red wine and freeze until solid, at least 6 hours and preferably overnight.
2. Combine the brandy, orange liqueur, and sugar in a small container with a lid. Refrigerate until ready to make the sangria.
3. Combine the frozen berries, red wine ice cubes and chilled brandy mixture in a blender. Blend on high until combined, thick and slushy. Pour into a pitcher and serve.
Cucumber Pineapple Tequila Cooler
1 cup fresh pineapple cubes
2 limes, skin removed
1 seedless European cucumber, peeled, plus cucumber slices for garnish
4 ounces silver (Blanco) tequila
1 1/2 cups ice cubes, plus more for serving
1 tablespoon agave nectar
Pinch kosher salt
1. Prepare a vegetable juicer (or blender if unavailable). Run the pineapple, limes and cucumber through the juicer, letting all the juices combine.
2. Pour the tequila into a cocktail shaker or pitcher, and then add the juices, ice, agave and salt. Shake or stir vigorously until chilled.
3. Line up 4 tall Tom Collins glasses filled with ice, and pour the tequila cooler over. Serve with straws and cucumber slices for garnish.
6 ounces light rum
12 mint sprigs, or spearmint, 8 roughly broken apart
6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
4 tablespoons sugar
4 slices lime
1. Place ice in beverage shaker then add in the rum, 8 broken up mint sprigs, lime juice, and sugar. Shake well and serve over ice in a high ball glass. Top off each glass with a splash of club soda.
2. Garnish each with a slice of lime and a sprig of mint.
Long Island Ice Tea
2 cups of ice cubes
1-ounce white rum
1-ounce white tequila
1/2 ounce Triple Sec
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup cola, or to taste
2 lemon wedges
1. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Pour the vodka, gin, rum, tequila, Triple Sec, and lemon juice into the shaker.
2. Cover and shake vigorously to combine and chill.
3. Pour the mixture, ice and all, into 2 glasses or beer mugs and top off with the cola. Garnish with lemon wedges. Serve.
Yes, sadly, Summer is coming to close. As an Avec resident, you have the opportunity to end the season the right way!
The Avec Rooftop is a BBQ Paradise Last year we all missed out on a lot of outdoor fun. Now that we have a chance to do it all over again with a tad bit more freedom, the goal is not to take one moment for granted! At Avec on H Street Apartments, achieving this goal...
Women's History Month Virtual Events This month, Avec on H Street Apartments is proud to celebrate women’s contributions throughout history. As we reflect on countless milestones women continue to accomplish, we want to allow our residents to celebrate right along...
Avec ON H is DOG-APPROVED. There are a lot of reasons to love living at Avec on H Street Apartments. Our apartments include first in class features, including stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, and every unit consists of full-size GE energy star washers...