Top 5 End of Summer Drinks
With less than a month remaining in the Summer season, it’s important that we take full advantage of each warm day we have left at Avec on H Street Apartments. For our residents, this means heading up to our two-block long rooftop as much as possible for incredible views and even better vibes! While you’re up top, add to the experience by enjoying a nice refreshing end of summer drink.
Below is a list of some of our favorite end of Summer drinks you can make right in your apartment home.
Assemble one, and let us know how you like it!
Watermelon Lemonade Slushie
2 pounds cubed watermelon (4 cups)
½ Cup Sugar
1 large bunch basil, stems and leaves roughly chopped (about 2 cups), plus 4 whole leaves for garnish
Juice of 3 lemons (about ½ cup)
1. Place the watermelon in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet, and freeze until completely frozen, like ice cubes, about 2 hours.
2. Meanwhile, cook the sugar and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is completely melted, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat, add the chopped basil and stir until completely wilted. Cool completely at room temperature, at least 1 hour.
3. When the watermelon is completely frozen, put half in a blender. Strain the basil syrup into the blender, use the back of a wooden spoon or spatula to press down on the basil to extract as much flavor as possible, and discard the basil. Add the lemon juice, and blend until the mixture is mostly smooth, pushing it down with a wooden spoon or spatula if needed. Add the remaining watermelon, and continue to blend until the mixture is completely smooth.
4. Spoon the mixture into 4 short glasses (or wine glasses, if you want to be fancy), and garnish each with a basil leaf.
One 750-milliliter bottle of fruity red wine
1/4 cup brandy
1/4 cup orange-flavored liqueur, such as Triple Sec
1/4 cup superfine sugar
One 10-ounce bag frozen mixed berries (about 2 1/2 cups)
1. Fill 2 ice cube trays with the red wine and freeze until solid, at least 6 hours and preferably overnight.
2. Combine the brandy, orange liqueur, and sugar in a small container with a lid. Refrigerate until ready to make the sangria.
3. Combine the frozen berries, red wine ice cubes and chilled brandy mixture in a blender. Blend on high until combined, thick and slushy. Pour into a pitcher and serve.
Cucumber Pineapple Tequila Cooler
1 cup fresh pineapple cubes
2 limes, skin removed
1 seedless European cucumber, peeled, plus cucumber slices for garnish
4 ounces silver (Blanco) tequila
1 1/2 cups ice cubes, plus more for serving
1 tablespoon agave nectar
Pinch kosher salt
1. Prepare a vegetable juicer (or blender if unavailable). Run the pineapple, limes and cucumber through the juicer, letting all the juices combine.
2. Pour the tequila into a cocktail shaker or pitcher, and then add the juices, ice, agave and salt. Shake or stir vigorously until chilled.
3. Line up 4 tall Tom Collins glasses filled with ice, and pour the tequila cooler over. Serve with straws and cucumber slices for garnish.
6 ounces light rum
12 mint sprigs, or spearmint, 8 roughly broken apart
6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
4 tablespoons sugar
4 slices lime
1. Place ice in beverage shaker then add in the rum, 8 broken up mint sprigs, lime juice, and sugar. Shake well and serve over ice in a high ball glass. Top off each glass with a splash of club soda.
2. Garnish each with a slice of lime and a sprig of mint.
Long Island Ice Tea
2 cups of ice cubes
1-ounce white rum
1-ounce white tequila
1/2 ounce Triple Sec
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup cola, or to taste
2 lemon wedges
1. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Pour the vodka, gin, rum, tequila, Triple Sec, and lemon juice into the shaker.
2. Cover and shake vigorously to combine and chill.
3. Pour the mixture, ice and all, into 2 glasses or beer mugs and top off with the cola. Garnish with lemon wedges. Serve.
Yes, sadly, Summer is coming to close. As an Avec resident, you have the opportunity to end the season the right way!
Featured Floor Plan: Studio D
Looking to move into the H Street neighborhood for a great price? Look no further than our Studio D Floor plan! With dynamic space in the living area, fantastic storage space across two closets, and sprawling views of DC, this floor plan is a winner all for a very...
5 Holiday Activities That You Don’t Want to Miss
Thanksgiving has wrapped which means the Holiday season is officially upon us! Some of the best holiday traditions include attending and experiencing various holiday themed events, and here in the District, we have no shortage of some of the most festive experiences...
3 Dishes That Will Win Friendsgiving
The Thanksgiving holiday is one of the best times of year to spend with family. For those of us who live far apart from our family or are choosing to spend time with our “chosen families”, Friendsgiving is a fantastic alternative. At most Friendsgiving meals, everyone...